Pages

Monday 7 May 2018

Developing Mathematical Thinkers


Our aim is that students will be able to: 
  • question 
  • challenge 
  • agree and disagree
  • extend explanations to justification
  • use exploratory talk
  • accept high levels of cognitive demand
We have used a no hands up rule throughout the whole space. We are asking students to talk to partners and anyone can be called upon to answer a question. This means that everyone is thinking about what the speaker is saying and are listening for understanding.

We have developed rights and responsibilities for discussion: 

We asked some of our students how they feel when they approach to a challenging problem:

Griffin: When I come across a challenging question in maths it makes me feel happy because I love 💖 challenge that makes my brain jump.

Jude: WHEN I COME ACROSS A CHALLENGING QUESTION IN MATHS IT MAKES ME FEEL CONFIDENT AND BRAVE BECAUSE I KNOW I CAN DO IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruby: when I come across to a challenging problem I feel excited because then I will be able to work more stuff out and learn a new maths perspective.

Zoe: Sometimes it makes me feel that I should try it, because I want to get better at my maths

Emelia: When I come across a hard question in maths I feel...
I feel confused (sometimes) until it gets explained then I find a way in my head

Flynn: When I come across a challenging question in maths it makes me feel challenged and excited


Nick: When I come across a challenging question in maths it makes me feel challenged and excited to try the question.

Hana: When I come across a challenging question in math it makes me feel like I need to work harder to get the answer because my brain needs to work harder to get the right answer.

Eva: when I come across a challenging question in maths it makes me feel excited because I get to learn new things.

Evan: When I come across a challenging question in maths it makes me feel annoyed or determined. I can be annoyed because I just want to finish the maths question.
I feel determined because I'm excited and I want to learn the answer one day.


Orla: When I come across a challenging question in maths it makes me feel like I need to challenge myself and keep trying even if it is hard or I don't know how to figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment